The Ancestral Diet is a nutritional philosophy that advises dog owners to minimize industrialized, processed food feeding. It encourages feeding wholesome, real food that incorporates nose-to-tail animal parts.
The focus is to:
- Look at how dogs as a species ate prior to when kibble was invented with minimal use of synthetics vitamins, and minerals.
- Raw meaty bones are preferred as opposed to “raw grinds.”
- Balance is achieved by feeding a variety of meat, seafood, organs, bones, and fiber.
- Fiber includes fur and feathers and is preferred over vegetables.
- Supplementation is done with purpose
- Synthetic ingredients, vitamins, and minerals are avoided
- Nose to tail feeding is highly encouraged.
- Seafood should be included with every meal.
- Heart should be included in the diet (for taurine).